Articulation Smash Mats
Articulation practice can be tedious and require lots of preparation (both of my least favorite things). To help alleviate some of that work and stress, I created 2 options of FUN, ENGAGING, and VERSATILE articulation smash mats - for all sounds in all word positions.
Speech Therapy Practice Ideas For Articulation Smash Mats
Of course, you can use these smash mats any way you see fit; however, I want to share some of my favorite therapy ideas using these articulation smash mats for both articulation AND language practice.
Hint..hint...there are more uses than just naming pictures!
*I recommend that you print and laminate each needed page so they can be reused over and over again (save time, money, and trees!)
- Have a child name a picture (word level practice) and then place a token or playdough on it (motivation).
- Have a child point a picture, say it, and then, make up a sentence using the chosen word (sentence level practice). After, the child places a token or playdough on it (motivation).
- Have a child pick two pictures and make up a sentence using both words (sentence level practice and language practice).
- Pick a favorite or least favorite picture and explain why (connected speech level practice).
- Print off a game board and find a coin (heads is 1/tails is 2) or a dice and 2 tokens. Roll the coin/dice. Move a token along the game board and name pictures as you pass them. The first one to reach the finish line wins.
Language Practice Ideas
- Name a function or category of a picture (word level practice) and then place a token or playdough on it (motivation).
- Describe a picture and then place a token or playdough on it (motivation).
- Find 2 pictures that are related, describe why, and then place a token or playdough on it (motivation)
- Pick an action, place, and character picture and make up a story about them (narrative language practice).
Colorful Articulation Smash Mats & Game Boards Include:
- Articulation smash mats for: B, D, CH, F, G, J, K, L, M, N, P, R, S, SH, T, TH, V, Z
- Articulation mats for the initial, medial, and final word position
- One smash mat for each sound which combines all word positions
- Game boards for all sounds listed above
How To Access Smash Mats
If you are a member of Speech Therapy Talk, then simply login and click on articulation worksheets.
Otherwise, these 100 pages of articulation smash mats and board games are only $12.00!! To buy them, simply add them to your cart, purchase them, and you will have them sent to your email immediately!
Seasonal High-Frequency Mats Include:
- Articulation mats for the following sounds: B, CH, D, F, G, J, K, L, M, N, P, R, S, SH, T, TH, V, Z
- A mat/sheet for each season which target each sound in all word positions (initial, medial, final)
- A page for each sound where a client can create his/her own design
- Blank sheet which I like to use for motivation, drill practice, and/or to teach positioning.