Spring Story Companions
More free spring story companions for speech therapy!
"Owen" by Kevin Henkes is one of my favorite books. It isn't necessarily "spring" but it set during springtime so it will do 🙂
As you all know, I am a huge fan of using books during speech therapy. They are very mulit-functional and engaging. I target almost any speech and/or language goal from attention to articulation to language to social skills.
For this story companion in particular, I target
- WH questions
- story grammar
Theory behind spring story companions speech therapy
As always, I like to review the theory behind the materials created at Speech Therapy Talk Services, LLC. (If you have downloaded the winter and fall companions, you can skip this part. You know it!)
The goal of this activity is to keep speech and language therapy activities functional, natural, and meaningful. Reading is one task that checks all the boxes. The additional bonus is that most children already love to read so it never feels like work.
Articulation & Phonological Awareness Ideas:
- Have the client find pictures that begin with their sound
- Ask the client a question about the book and have the required response contain their target sound
- Name pictures with the target sound
WH questions ideas:
- Read through the story. Pause and ask WH questions while you read
- Once finished reading, review WH questions using the story companion below
Story Grammar ideas:
- Start the book. Once the setting has been introduced, review the setting.
- Keep reading. Once the "problem" arises, review it!
- Finish the book. Open the story companion and review the story grammar!
- Introduce/review vocabulary in context of the book.
- Open companion and quiz/practice vocabulary
How To Use Materials
Once you click the link below, it will prompt you to "make a copy." Please make a copy!
To use the materials:
- Open the file
- Click "present" in the top right corner
- Click through the presentation.
- Once you reach the sequence section, click "esc" to exit the presentation.
- To move around the sequence cards, you must be in "edit mode."
- To use the next 2 sections (vocabulary), click "present" again.
Become a Member
If you would like to become a member of Speech Therapy Talk for a small monthly free and access the entire companion plus 15 more companions plus 1,200+ materials, please click the link below.
As a member, you have access to hundreds of materials (print and no-print) including:
- Seasonal games
- Drill-based no-print materials
- story companions
- grammar worksheets and games
- WH question materials
- Parent handouts
- Early intervention handouts
- Late talker guides and materials
- Cariboo cards
- I-spy games
- Phonological awareness no-print materials
- Teaching guides for artic and language
- Vocabulary materials
- Story grammar materials
The BEST part is that new material is added weekly and you have access to it all.