Spanish Speech Therapy Materials
Treating bilingual speech therapy clients can be a daunting task, but it doesn't have to be!
These Spanish speech therapy materials will make your professional life easier and give you the confidence boost you need 🙂
Spanish Speech Therapy Materials
My husband and I will be adding to this page frequently!! Contact us with any requests! Seriously!! Currently, we have:
1. Spanish Speech Therapy Flashcards
We have 57 pages of Spanish Flashcards! It was a mission, but they are finally here.
There are 12 flashcards for each sound in each sound position, 14 Spanish flashcard games that can be given to parents as handouts, Spanish translated homework sheets, and a parent guide to articulation practice.
If you are interested, learn more now!
2. Spanish Articulation & Language Smash Mats
We have 60 pages of Spanish smash mats that you can use to practice articulation and language skills.
Use them to create effortless and effective speech therapy sessions. If you are a parent, they are a motivating tool for home practice.
To learn more about it, click here: Spanish Smash Mats
3. Spanish Cariboo Cards - Complete Set
They are motivated, enjoying themselves, AND get A LOT of speech and language practice.
- Spanish Cariboo cards for the following sounds: B, CH, D, F, G, K, L, M, N, P, R, S, T
- Cards for the initial, medial, and final position (when applicable)
- Colorful, HIGH-FREQUENCY words used to help with generalization
- When able, pictures with "less ink" used to cut down on printing costs
Click here to learn more about them.
4. Articulation Materials by Phoneme
Here are in-depth materials for specific sounds. We will be adding to this section as able.
Currently, we have:
- B Spanish Speech Therapy Materials
- D Spanish Speech Therapy Materials
- P Spanish Speech Therapy Materials
- More to come!
5. Customizable Forms Based on Daily Activities
Blank Forms: Time of Day Practices
Below are completely customizable forms that can be printed and personalized depending on the client's goals. Click on the link below to download the PDF file.
6. Bilingual Vocabulary Worksheets
Here are online, PDF forms for specific language goals. They can be personalized depending on the student's individual needs.
Again, the practices will revolve around meaningful, daily tasks.
7. Spanish Articulation Home Program
Each sound contains following documents:
- Parent Handout on Articulation Practice
- Printable Articulation Homework Sheet
- Word Flashcards
- Picture Flashcards
- Word Lists
- Explanation of How to Say Sound
- Cues on how to teach sound
- Functional Game Ideas
If you are a parent, you can explore each sound and practice as needed! If you are a professional, you can print off the homework sheets and attach the practice materials and you are done!
Click below to download your Spanish articulation word lists to your Google Drive.
Importance of a Bilingual Home Program
We all know the importance of a speech and language home program. However, for bilingual clients, the importance quadruples!
Due to all the great research out there, we now know a few things to be true about bilingual speech development relating to bilingual speech therapy:
- Speaking 2 languages DOES NOT cause a speech or language delay so only speaking 1 language will not "fix" the delay.
- Advising a family to only speak in English because their child has a speech or language delay is WRONG!
- Supporting the primary language is critical for speech, language, and social development
- A bilingual child in speech therapy should receive services in both languages, especially the primary language
- For bilingual speakers, there is a transfer of skills between the first language (L1) and the second language (L2)**
**HOWEVER!! For most language impaired students, language transfer between L1 and L2 may or may not happen naturally. To transfer skills from one language to another, a student needs strong meta-linguistic skills. Students with language impairments don’t always have these skills.